AB 1294 (Berman) Recycled Content Disclosure
Summary: Extends the sunset of a requirement for manufacturers and suppliers of plastic products which contain claims of recycled content to maintain documentation that supports those claims.
Position & Status: CAW is the sponsor of the bill.
- Introduced February 17th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Natural Resources committee April 3rd, 2017
- Passed Assembly Appropriations committee April 26th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Floor vote May 4th, 2017
- Passed Senate Environmental Quality committee June 7th, 2017
- Next Step: Will be heard in Senate Appropriations. No hearing date set.
Description: This bill would postpone the repeal of a requirement concerning recycled content claims until 2028. Manufacturers and suppliers of plastic food container products are currently required to maintain documentation that supports their claims of recycled content, in order to stop companies from making unsubstantiated claims. This provision was set to end in 2018, but the law has proven to be useful in keeping recycled content claims truthful. Maintaining this requirement will provide needed transparency so that Californians can trust environmental claims made on plastic food containers.
Contact: Melissa Romero, (916) 443-5422