AB 509 (Frazier) - Tire Recycling Incentive Program (TRIP)
Summary: AB 509 is designed to reduce greenhouse gases while simultaneously creating jobs by establishing a Tire Recycling Incentive Program (TRIP).
Position & Status: CAW is the sponsor of this bill. This is not an active bill.
- Introduced February 13th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Natural Resources committee April 17th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Appropriations committee May 26th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Floor May 31st, 2017
- Passed Senate Environmental Quality committee July 5th, 2017
- Held in Suspense File in the Senate Appropriations committee on September 1st, 2017.
Description: California generates more than 44 million waste tires every year, AB 509 will significantly increase tire recycling, support local infrastructure development, and reduce the incentive for illegal dumping of waste tires. This bill requires CalRecycle to develop and establish the program, which provides incentives for recycled products. This program is expected to double the state’s tire recycling rate from 37 percent to 75 percent by the year 2020. Fifty percent of the funds generated from this program will go to fund rubberized asphalt products; the remainder will go to other recycled products.
CAW Staff Contact: Nick Lapis, (916) 443-5422