AB 2398 by Speaker John Perez was signed into law in 2010, creating the nation’s first comprehensive and industry-financed carpet recycling program.
AB 2398 requires manufacturers of carpet sold in California to develop, operate and finance a program to comprehensively manage end of life carpet generated California. The manufacturers are authorized to establish a fee of 5 cents/yard to cover the costs of the program. This measure will create increased demand for recycled carpet products in California by increasing the state’s recycled content requirement for carpet bought by the state.
Stay up to date on the carpet implementation process:
- Sign up for CalRecycle Carpet Product Stewardship Listserv
- Calrecycle Rulemaking Documents
- CARE's Presentation
- Timeline for Implementation:
- CalRecycle Scoping Sessions
- CalRecycle Informal draft text
- CalRecycle Informal workshop (2/22/11)
- CalRecycle Public meeting (3/15/2011)
- CalRecycle File proposed regulations
- CalRecycle Public comment period
- CalRecycle Public hearing (June)
- Retailers must include the $0.05/sq yd Carpet Stewardship Assessment fee starting July 1, 2011
- CalRecycle Makes Revisions and Solicit Public Comment (45 day comment period)
- CalRecycle Makes Revisions and Solicit Public Comment (15-day comment period)
- Sept 19 - Oct 4, 2011
- Read the Proposed regulation and submit comments by Oct 4th
- CalRecycle Makes Revisions and Solicit Public Comment (second 15-day comment period)
- October 11, 2011 to October 26, 2011
- Read the revised Proposed regulation and submit comments by Noon Oct 26th
- CARE Submits Stewardship Plan (version 12/12/11) by September 2011. Read CAW's comments to CARE.
- CalRecycle Adopt Regulation at public meeting (November 15th)
- CalRecycle is set to conditionally approve the Stewardship plan at its January 17th monthly meeting.
- File final rulemaking with OAL
- OAL approves/ disapproves(Dec 2011/ Jan 2012)
- CARE Starts Implementation July 2012
- CalRecycle Post List of Compliant Manufactures on Website July 2012
- CARE submits Annual Report July 1, 2013 and each year thereafter
CalRecycle held an informal workshop on February 22nd to solicit comments for the Draft informal regulatory text, as part of their rulemaking process. Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE), the stewardship organization that would run the program, was also there to give presentation.
CARE has been designated as the Carpet Stewardship Organization