Happy International Compost Awareness Week!
lCAW, celebrated annually during the first full week of May, is an education and outreach effort by the composting industry.
What CAW has planned:
- We are working with the California Compost Coalition to sponsor a lunch briefing in the Capitol for legislators and their staff. In keeping with this year's ICAW theme, Compost: The Sustainable Solution to Soil and Water, we will have presentations from Marin Carbon Project's John Wick, Recology CEO Mike Sangiacomo, and Judith Redmond (co-owner of Full Belly Farms).
- We have partnered with the US Composting Council and the Association of Compost Producers to distribute copies of this year's ICAW poster to legislators and their staff, as well as agency heads and regulators.
- Assembly Member Phil Ting has introduced HR 39, a resolution declaring this week as Compost Awareness Week and detailing the many environmental and economic benefits of composting.
What you can do:
- Start composting! Here are some tips to get you started.
- Use compost in your garden.
- Send in a support letter for AB 1826 (Chesbro), requiring large commercial generators of organic waste to subscribe to collection and recycling for this material. Take action: Send in a support letter today!
- Help end a perverse incentive in state law that encourages the use of yard trimmings as landfill cover (ADC) by supporting AB 1594 (Williams). Take action: Send in a support letter today!