Mar 8 - Sperm Whale Death Linked to Plastic Ingestion


Scientists found a sperm whale washed up on the shores of southern Spain and discovered it had died from ingesting 17 kg (over 37 pounds) of plastic.

According to a story in The Guardian, the ingested pieces of plastic blocked its stomach and led to its death, researchers said.

Sperm whales are the largest toothed whales and already face risk of death by getting caught in fishing nets or struck by ships.

Find out more about plastic marine pollution and take action to stop its spread!

Photo Credit: The Guardian