Jul 7 - Young Sea Turtle Dies From Ingesting Plastic

Share

Experts at the Australian Seabird Rescue recently found a dead green sea turtle near the coast of New South Wales, Australia. After a necropsy, they determined that the 317 pieces of plastic in its stomach likely caused the young turtle to starve to death. Read more from a Huffington Post article or click here for a video.

Sadly this incident is not the first, or last of its kind, despite claims from industry that plastic products are not causing harm to wildlife. Not too long ago, the death of a whale found in Puerto Rico was attributed to plastic bags. As discussed in the video, plastic bags are easily mistaken for squid and plankton while other pieces of plastic can look like seashells to the turtles.


Please visit our website to learn more about plastic pollution and what you can do to support our work on stopping this unnecessary waste. In the state legislature, we are working on several bills to help reduce plastic litter:

SB 567 (DeSaulnier): creates truthful labeling claims for all plastic products on compostability and biodegradability

SB 568 (Lowenthal): phase-out of Styrofoam takeout containers in restaurants and from other food vendors

AB 298 (Brownley): requires reusable bags to meet health and safety requirements