The Governor's veto of legislation (SB 402) to expand recycling and balance Bottle Bill revenue and expenditures has resulted in the closure of more than one hundred recycling locations in the last several weeks. There are now more than 600 unserved supermarket recycling sites in the state. And demand for a return of funds 'loaned' to the General Fund from the Bottle Bill increases, as recently recyclers and businesses filed suit against the state.
- Recycling Programs Fight Back Rachel Myrow for California Report
- Recycling Centers Fall Victim to California's Budget Woes Lisa Vorderbrueggen in Contra Costra Times.
- Recycling Centers Close, Eliminating 'Green' Jobs: Shane Goldmacher in LA Times.
- State Recycling Funds Raided; Jobs Vanish: Nannette Miranda for KABC.
- Recycling Sites Face Shutdown Amid Budget Raids: Michael Gardner and Mike Lee in San Diego Union-Tribune.