AB 1001 (Gordon, 2013-14) - Bottle Bill Modernization
Summary. Modernize California's Bottle Bill Program
Position and Status: CAW supports. This bill is no longer active.
• Increased Recycling/even playing field - closes the loophole on containers currently exempt due to size/type – juice drinks larger than 46 oz, adding aseptic, and paperboard containers
• Electronic reporting system - processors to report electronically, and distributor to transition to ETF
• Increased certification requirements for recycler
• suspend commingled rate at buyback centers for the next 3 years
• Expansion of Department role and authority in establishing recycling centers in unserved zones.
• Authorization of reduced operating hours for recycling centers serving specified unserved zones.
• Authorize supplemental handling fee for recycling centers in unserved zones.
• Temporary suspension of in-store take back obligation for retailers inspecified ‘unserved’ zones.
• Landowners and city and county cannot restrict the siting of a CZ recycler.
• Consolidation of CRV and Handling fee claim and reporting systems.
• Establishment of 3-tiered/volume-based HF payment system based on existing cost survey
• Affirm Local Conservation Corps as ‘core’ funding priority and update the current allocation as $21 million annually
• Strike $1.5 million grants for litter reduction program.
• Clarify 5 year history does not apply if new operator has no relationship to previous operator.
CAW Staff Contacts.
Teresa Bui (916) 443-5422
Assembly Member Gordon
State Capitol, Sacramento, CA 95814
Californians Against Waste