AB 2766 (Berman) - Plastic Market Development
Summary: AB 2766 would reinstate California's successful Plastic Market Development program to support in-state processing and manufacturing of beverage container plastic. The program sunsetted on December 31, 2017 when it's proposed extension in 2017 was included as part of a larger short-term Bottle Bill fix. As the State has yet to pass a short-term Bottle Bill fix, extension of the Plastic Market Development program - largely uncontroversial - has now been proposed as it's own legislative vehicle and on an urgency basis to prevent missed payments to California's beverage containers processors and manufacturers.
Position & Status: CAW supports the bill.
- Introduced February 16th, 2018
- Amended March 19th, 2018 to include retroactive payments
- Passed Assembly Natural Resources committee (7-0) on April 9, 2018.
- Passed Assembly Appropriations committee (16-0) on May 25, 2018.
- Passed the Assembly floor (78-0) on May 30, 2018.
CAW Staff Contact: Kelly McBee, (916) 443-5422