AB 1884 (Calderon) - Straws Upon Request
Summary: In an effort to stop plastic pollution and reduce the overwhelming amount of single-use plastic Californian's consume on a daily basis, Assembly Bill 1884 would require sit-down restaurants in California to forgo the automatic distribution of straws in every drink, and instead only provide a straw when it is requested by the customer.
Position & Status: CAW supports the bill.
- Introduced January 17, 2018
- Amended February 5, 2018 to remove penalty fines
- Next Step: Assembly Natural Resources Hearing. Date TBA.
- Plastic Pollution Coalition The Straws Bill California Should Pass February 2, 2018
- Sacramento Bee Environmentalism or ‘nanny state’? Efforts to regulate plastic in California take off February 2, 2018
- Fortune: California Assemblyman introduces Straws-Upon-Request Bill January 30, 2018
CAW Staff Contact: Kelly McBee, (916) 443-5422