Recycling centers continue to close as a result of Schwarzenegger's veto of SB 402. Nearly $500 million have been "borrowed" from the recycling fund over the years, and lack of program funds are now resulting in the closures of supermarket recycling centers and the layoffs of conservation corps recyclers, along with other cuts. Here are some recent press coverage on the topic:
- Beverage Container Recycling Woes: Michael Krasny with guests Adrian White, Dave Heylen, H.D. Palmer, Joanna Lennon, Susan Collins on KQED Forum.
- Recycling Centers Close, Eliminating 'Green' Jobs: Shane Goldmacher in LA Times.
- State Recycling Funds Raided; Jobs Vanish: Nannette Miranda for KABC.
- Recycling Sites Face Shutdown Amid Budget Raids: Michael Gardner and Mike Lee in San Diego Union-Tribune.
- California Recycling Program is on the Rocks: Jim Sanders in Sacramento Bee