The President has signed an executive order that requires Federal agencies to set 2020 emission reduction targets within 90 days, as well as a whole slew of other efficiency improvements, including:
- 30% reduction in vehicle fleet petroleum use by 2020.
- 26% improvement in water efficiency by 2020.
- 50% recycling and waste diversion by 2015.
- 95% of all applicable contracts will meet sustainability requirements.
- Implementation of the 2030 net-zero-energy building requirement.
- Implementation of the stormwater provisions of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, section 438.
- Development of guidance for sustainable Federal building locations in alignment with Livability Principles put forward by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Department of Transportation, and the EPA.
Click here to read the the 15-page executive order (pdf).