The Assembly Select Committee on Waste Reduction and Recycling in 21st Century California has scheduled a hearing for tomorrow at the State Capitol in Sacramento. Topics include the past, present and future of recycling in the state, and there will be opportunities for public comment. The hearing will be chaired by Assemblymember Rich Gordon (D-Menlo Park), and CalRecycle Director Scott Smithline and Californians Against Waste Executive Director Mark Murray are among the recycling industry experts scheduled to testify.
The hearing is scheduled for a live webcast at CalChannel.com and will be broadcast on your local Cal Channel channel later that day at 11:00 p.m. Recycling News will publish a short recap of the hearing later this week. Here is the agenda:
AGENDA: Assembly Select Committee on Waste Reduction and Recycling in 21st Century California
Tuesday, August 18, 2015 State Capitol, Room 447 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
1:30 PM Welcome, Opening Remarks and Introductions
- Chairman Rich Gordon (10 minutes)
- Members of the Select Committee (5 minutes)
1:45 PM: History of CalRecycle, (CIWMB and DOR) - Scott Smithline , Director, CalRecycle & Karen Morrison, CalRecycle
- Introduction of "Bottle Bill" ( 1980s)
- AB 939 (Jurisdictional mandate for 50% diversion)
- AB 341 (State goal for 75% recycling)
2:15 PM: State of Recycling in California Report: Current State of Affairs - Karen Morrison, CalRecycle
- Facilities and physical infrastructure
- Tracking and quantifying flows of materials
- Program implementation and support
- System operation and individual programs
3:00 PM: Where Do We Go From Here? Future Directions for CalRecycle & Questions to Consider Mark Murray (Californians Against Waste), Rod Rougelot (RePlanet) & John Wick (Marin Carbon Project)
- Discussion of programs/issues moving forward
- How do we maintain financial solvency? Are we on track to reach our goals?
- Anticipation of new technologies/ potential paradigm shift?
3:45 PM: Public Comment (30 minutes)
4:15 PM: Closing Comments and Next Steps for the Select Committee
• Chairman Rich Gordon ( 15 minutes)