AB 1158 (Chu) Carpet Recycling
Summary: Would require a carpet stewardship plan to achieve a 24% recycling rate for postconsumer carpet by January 1, 2020, and would authorize CalRecycle to set future recycling rate goals. The bill would protect consumer recycling fee funds from inappropriate uses such as paying civil penalties assessed by the State, or subsidizing the incineration of carpet. The bill would expand the participants on the carpet advisory committee and require that the recommendations of the committee be incorporated into the carpet stewardship plan, to the extent feasible. The bill would require that carpet purchased for use by the State includes a minimum amount of recycled carpet material.
Position & Status: CAW supports the bill.
- Introduced February 17th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Natural Resources Committee April 3rd, 2017
- Passed Assembly Appropriations Committee May 24th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Floor vote May 30th, 2017
- Passed Senate Environmental Quality Committee July 5, 2017
- Passed Senate Appropriations Committee August 28, 2017
- Passed Senate Floor September 12, 2017
- Passed Re-Referral to Assembly Natural Resources Committee September 13, 2017
- Next Step: Concurrence on Assembly Floor - anticipated date September 14, 2017 - Contact your Assemblymember today!
Contact: Kelly McBee, Policy Analyst (916) 443-5422