AB 1294 (Berman) Recycled Content Disclosure- SIGNED INTO LAW
Summary: Extends the sunset of a requirement for manufacturers and suppliers of plastic products which contain claims of recycled content to maintain documentation that supports those claims.
Position & Status: CAW is the sponsor of the bill.
- Introduced February 17th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Natural Resources committee April 3rd, 2017
- Passed Assembly Appropriations committee April 26th, 2017
- Passed Assembly Floor vote (76-0) May 4th, 2017
- Passed Senate Environmental Quality committee June 7th, 2017
- Passed Senate Floor vote (40-0) September 14th, 2017
- Signed into law on October 11, 2017
Description: This bill would eliminate the sunset of a requirement concerning recycled content claims. Manufacturers and suppliers of plastic food container products are currently required to maintain documentation that supports their claims of recycled content, in order to stop companies from making unsubstantiated claims. This provision was set to end in 2018, but the law has proven to be useful in keeping recycled content claims truthful. Maintaining this requirement will provide needed transparency so that Californians can trust environmental claims made on plastic food containers.
Contact: Melissa Romero, (916) 443-5422
Californians Against Waste (Sponsors)
Association of Plastic Recyclers